Saturday, June 14, 2008

michel! my favorite

sometimes when you idolize someone the more you get to know about them the less appealing they seem to get. not the case with my favorite visionary michel gondry. i cant even believe how good this article is, and the funny thing is that i stumbled upon it by accident in an unrelated internet search. there is something so appealing to his style.




MICHEL GONDRY
, the director and Oscar-winning screenwriter, is known for his trippy visual style and vivid imagery. But the man behind "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" doesn't favor fashion as a form of self-expression. In fact, he hates it. Still, Gondry -- in town for the premiere of his film "Be Kind Rewind," which stars Jack Black and Mos Def -- sat down and bemusedly chatted about style over a cup of hot tea.

Why don't you like fashion? You're French.

It makes you feel embarrassed about what you wear. I was watching a documentary on Duran Duran, and after five minutes, I had to turn it off. I couldn't bear to see how they were dressed. I was thinking that the '80s were so horrible.

Don't you have any fashion faux pas in your past?

In 1977, I probably looked a lot like a hippie. I had long hair and wore purple pants.

How would you describe your personal style?

I wear all the same clothes since I was born. I wear plaid and corduroy and shoes for old men. I like soft shoes. I hate pointy shoes that say, 'I am arty and rock 'n' roll.'

How did you direct your costume designers -- Rahel Afiley and Kishu Chand -- to come up with a wardrobe for your new film?

For "Be Kind Rewind," I told the stylists that they had to buy all the clothes in Passaic, N.J., at thrift stores or stores where everything costs five bucks.

Why?

When I work with a stylist on a film, I always ask the person to go in the street and take pictures of everybody. I am surprised that all stylists don't do that. They always bring you magazines to show you what people should wear.

That's not reality.

Do you shop at thrift stores?

No. I rarely shop at all. My size has not changed, and so I don't know why I should buy new clothes.

In "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," Kate Winslet's hair color changes constantly. What does that say about a woman?

For that character, it says that she is not completely at ease with herself. She does it for provocation too. My son -- he is 16 -- did it to his hair a few months ago and he has a whole new personality.

Do you have any favorite designers?

No. I went to a fashion show for those girls who live with their parents in L.A. [Rodarte], and the reporter asked me what I was wearing.

I said, "Gap."


[from Sunday's LA Times]
by Monica Corcoran, Times Staff Writer

seriously. amazing.

1 comment:

Danielle Atkins said...

wonderful! and there is something appealing about your style. haha